Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Central Park


Jake was recently offered a writing job in Manhattan so last weekend we packed up our place in Utah and moved across the country. I'm still having some very mixed emotions about the whole thing. It all happened SO fast - while Jake was in NYC getting started I was back in Provo packing our house up with the best neighbors in the world. He came home for a couple days to move the big things and then we all hopped on a plane together and headed to New York. It was absolutely the longest day of my life, but it being Mother's Day the kids were on their best behavior ;) and Sawyer slept the  e n t i r e  time. So that was a major blessing. From the airport we caught a taxi to our apartment in Weehawken, NJ which has the most amazing view of Manhattan (a post for another day). So we've been here one week and we are definitely still adjusting. Luckily there's a park up the road where the kids and I spend a lot of time. Jake gets home around 7:30 at night which is when we run our bigger errands together like grocery shopping and taking our clothes to the laundromat. He has weekends off and with our first one together we went to Central Park. I mainly wanted him to show me how to get into the city so that I could do it during the week without him, but about 10 minutes into the outing we realized I would never be able to do it by myself. Haha. We'll be here in NJ through the end of June, but after that we're considering moving into the city so that I can actually go do things with the kids.

I loved Central Park! It is so beautiful and so full of life. We passed a group of yogis and some sort of kick-boxing class. There were tons of people on bikes and scooters -- We actually told Annabelle that if she goes 7 days without an accident we'd get her a scooter. She's on day 5 and that promise is starting to look more real. Haha. I didn't think it would happen so quickly, she really wants that scooter ;) There were ice cream stands on every other corner and cute cafes full of people. It reminded me a lot of Germany. We found a cute little gated park in the middle of Central Park for the kids to play on and for a second it didn't feel like we were in hectic NYC. I loved it :)

On our way back to the subway we stopped and bought the  y u m m i e s t  grapes we'd ever had. Seriously. They were incredible -- juicy and crunchy. So perfect. We munched on those until we found lunch (Chipotle) and then headed home. We passed so many bakeries and food stands, but with three out of the five of us being celiac, they're not worth stopping into. I'll have to eat those yummy pastries and doughnuts when I'm out by myself. Which, let's be real -- will be never. Haha. Someone come visit me and we'll sneak out together ;)


7 comments:

  1. Emma I love your little adventures... Btw we are hoping to come in October so we will have to get together... !! Keep posting because I love reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please come and visit! We'd love that. And I will definitely keep posting about all our adventures :)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea you were moving! What a crazy fun adventure for your family! I hope it is a smooth transition for all of you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- so crazy! And thank you. I like being back in touch with you again :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you have 3 now! Your kids are just so perfect and adorable!! and hello, I got stressed out just reading about your guys move haha. You are so brave! My little family will be living in Pennsylvania for the summer (like an hour and a half from NYC) so we will for sure be visiting since I have never been there. We will have to make some plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, are you serious?? Please come visit! I would love that so much. And believe me, that move was so stressful. Haha. When do you get to Pennsylvania?

      Delete
  4. Yay! New York adventures! I love the Central Park reminded you of Germany a bit. I've only seen it from a distance, but from what I can remember, I can see what you mean. Also, Henry's shoes and Annabelle's headband: so cute! That's cool that you're also thinking of moving to the city! I need to catch up with you!!

    ReplyDelete